Explore our frequently asked questions below, or get in touch with the team.
Frequently asked questions
We are a GP led one-stop weight loss service for people who want to lose weight and reverse or improve their diabetes care without using medication.
There are 2 key aspects to our service:
- We support you to lose weight quickly and safely through a scientifically proven 800 calorie per day meal replacement programme.
- We support you to build healthier lifestyle habits and maintain the weight loss through an ongoing subscription model.
This is a clinical intervention supported by our highly experienced and friendly team of clinicians – no unqualified “health coaches” or “weight consultants” here.
Our service is led by GPs who oversee all aspects of the service and manage your medications as we may need to reduce or stop your medications.
Low calorie diets are suitable for most people but not everyone. Please check you meet the requirements below:
You are suitable if you meet the following:
- You have type 2 Diabetes or just want to lose weight
- Minimum age of 20. No upper age limit
- Minimum BMI 27 (or 25 if you are of Asian descent)
- You are motivated to lose weight and participate in the program
You are not suitable if you meet the following:
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Current insulin use
- HbA1C >108 mmol/mol
- Poor kidney function
- Severe or unstable heart failure
- Heart attack or stroke within 6 months
- Pregnant / breastfeeding or considering pregnancy
- Severe mental health issues including use of antipsychotics and substance misuse
- Patients with dementia
- People having active treatment for cancer
- Active liver disease
- Palliative patients
If you are unsure about any of the above just contact us at email@example.com
Many of our chronic diseases such as heart disease, high blood pressure, vascular disease, strokes and type 2 diabetes are caused by the same underlying cause: excess weight. Excess weight, often known as obesity, is also known to cause 13 different types of cancers.
Historically the approach in the medical profession has been to use pharmaceutical drugs to reduce some of your risk factors and whilst these are helpful there is one thing none of them do adequately – address the underlying cause of your disease.
Our approach is to address the underlying cause. Combining the latest scientific evidence and our years of NHS experience we’ve created a programme that helps you lose large amounts of weight rapidly and safely under clinical supervision. Most importantly we’ve created a system that supports maintenance of the weight loss long term – no fad short term diets.
The DiRECT clinical trial published in December 2017 focused on the effects of intense weight-loss using low calorie diets and subsequent weight maintenance as a method for potential type 2 diabetes reversal.
The trial involved splitting over 306 patients across the UK into 2 groups. One group received traditional GP care whilst the treatment group received low calorie total diet replacement.
Overall almost 1 in 2 (46%) managed to reverse their diabetes. The likelihood of reversal was closely linked to the amount of weight loss.
For people who lost more than 15kg, almost 9 out of 10 (86%)managed to reverse their diabetes!
Other benefits included lower blood pressure, lower trigylcerides, lower use of medication and feeling of improved quality of life.
- This phase lasts between 8-12 weeks depending on your progress through the programme
- During this phase you will consume 4 of our total diet replacement products per day
- Each product contains 200 calories meaning you will be consuming approximately 800 calories per day
- Our clinical team will closely monitor your weight and blood pressure.
- You will be assigned your own personal Registered Nutritionist who will contact you regularly every 2 weeks throughout the programme. You will be able to also contact them anytime by phone, email or via our App if you have questions or should any issues arise.
- We will support you through planned life events such birthdays and holidays as well as unplanned life events to keep you on track.
- During this phase our GPs may need to amend your medication and they will always keep your own GP informed.
- During weeks 13 – 16 we will drop one of your total diet replacement products every week and replace it with a delicious healthy meal personalised to your existing tastes and habits
- We will start to introduce some really simple lifestyle changes for you to try, to increase your daily movement and reduce the amount of time you sit. These form part of our Golden 5 Plan – see phase 3
- We will help you to start modifying your home environment and food shopping habits so that we create barriers to making unhealthy choices
- We will ask your GP to check your HbA1C levels at week 13 and keep them updated with your medication changes if required
- With your permission we will contact your spouse/partner to advise them how they can support you during this phase
- We will continue to monitor your weight and blood pressure every 2 weeks
- After week 16 we will focus on our “Golden 5 Plan” which aims to create a healthy environment for you and your family from which good health ensues naturally and with minimal effort.
- We help you learn to plan for events such as birthdays, weddings and meals out so that you fully enjoy socialising with family and friends
- We are also here to support you when life throws a wobbly – we call them unplanned life events – such as an unexpected job loss or bereavement. During these times some of us comfort eat and that is ok. Our team will support you as you need during times of crisis and help you get back on track when you are ready
- If you regain some weight don’t worry – we will pick it up early and have strategies to help you lose it again quickly and easily
Good question! Consuming less calories than you burn for a long sustained period of time can be hard and requires high levels of motivation and meal planning. The 800 calorie meal replacement approach has been scientifically proven by 2 clinical trials (DiRECT and DROPLET trials) in the UK to induce rapid weight loss safely in a short space of time. Our products ensure you get the right amount of protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals while consuming a low number of calories.
Our products taste delicious due to their unique flavour profile and because they do not contain intense artificial sweeteners. Our team are experienced in working with you to add herbs and spices to the soups to add variety and also non-starchy vegetables in some cases. They keep you full and satisfied as well as help break old habits of snacking at certain times of the day.
- Check you meet our inclusion and exclusion criteria (see below). If you are not sure feel free to contact us. We are always happy to talk to you about our programme.
- Register on our website and create a profile.
- In the shop tab you will need to add a monthly subscription and choose your products. We recommend a minimum of 4 weeks supply to get you started.
- Complete the purchase – that’s it.
- Our clinical team will contact you within 24 hours to check you are suitable for the programme and welcome you to our service. The products will not be sent to you till this step is completed.
- If we find you are not suitable then we refund your money in full.
Due to the rapid weight loss it is likely we will need to reduce the number of pills you take to prevent hypoglycaemia (low blood sugars) and possible hypotension (low blood pressure).
Our doctors will advise you what changes need to be made and we will always inform your own NHS GP. We work in partnership with your GP and may speak to them to ensure you get the best care.
We have developed strict de-prescribing protocols to manage this process and are fully insured to do this on behalf of your GP.
Each sachet of shake or soup costs £1.80. During phase 1 you will be required to have 4 products per day which works out to £50.40 per week.
The subscription service is £30 per month. You need to have an active subscription to purchase our products and receive the clinical support required for success on your weight loss journey.
The subscription service allows you to join the DRC community and is mandatory. We do not provide the products without this for a number of important reasons:
- You need to be closely monitored and supported by our clinical team to ensure you are losing weight safely
- Our doctors will need to adjust your medication as you progress through the programme
- Our goal is to ensure weight loss and help you maintain the weight loss long term. The subscription service allows us to work proactively with you to achieve this.
- The subscription allows you join our community so you can receive regular advice on the latest health topics
You are able to cancel the subscription service with one month notice – just contact us. This will stop the clinical support you receive and you will no longer be able to order further products.
All our services are delivered remotely by phone, email, secure messaging and video consultations. You will be given details of our App to download when you join us.
No – absolutely not.
Our primary aim after helping you achieve your ideal healthy weight is to support you to maintain that weight long term. The relationship you develop with your personal registered nutritionist and our GPs is critically important and our aim is to maintain that relationship long term.
This is a self pay service. We are working in partnership with multiple GP surgeries in London to offer this service locally.
From our extensive experience delivering this programme we would suggest you will lose approximately 2 – 5 kg per week (4 – 11 lbs). However individual results may vary.
Our products have been specially formulated by our doctors to reduce the risks of side-effects. The most common side effects are constipation and occasional headaches. You must report any side-effects to our clinical team who will support you to resolve them.
We work really hard to ensure you receive the best experience. However we may not always get it right. If you are concerned or want to raise a complaint about any aspect of our service please email: firstname.lastname@example.org